One of the biggest updates that comes with iOS 14 is a brand new home screen experience. This marks the biggest UI change since it was unquestionably released for iOS for the first time. Track how to use iPhone home screen widgets in iOS 14. The days when the iPhone home screen limited to the basic frame apps and app folders grid. IOS 14 brings a totally different look and feel to the UI with home screen gadgets that can be alter in size/shape to convey some incredible usefulness.
This thought isn’t new, with Microsoft utilizing this adjustable lattice style with Windows Phone and Google and Android 10 years prior. However, Apple has created a clean and sharp look and feel with home screen widgets that are iOS from start to finish, including a neat “Smart Stack” option.
iOS 14 is currently available. To see if it’s ready to install on your device, go to Settings> General> Software Update (don’t forget to back up your device first).
Use iPhone home screen widgets in iOS 14
- On your iPhone running iOS 14, long-press your home screen in a blank space until your apps start shaking (or long-press an app> Edit Home Screen)
- Tap + icon in upper-left corner
- You will now see available widgets (including those supported by third parties)
- Tap one, select a size, tap Add Widgets to place it on your home screen
- You can reposition your widget by dragging
- Tap Done in the upper-right corner to set up your widget
- You can create your own Smart Stack-style widgets by dragging those of the same size (up to 10) overlap (Apple and similarly third parties).
- Apple event 2020: Apple Watch 6, iPad Air 4 and what else to expect on September 15
New widgets are also available on iPadOS 14 and iPad. But these limits to the Today View sidebar, whereas with the iPhone you can use them at home and secondary/third etc. You can use it on app screens. Keep in mind that today view widgets and widgets for home screen/app pages are different and require developer support.
- How to Migrate Your Website With All-In-One WP Migration
- How to Download iOS 14 Developer Beta? Detailed explanation
- What is Shopify? How to Use Shopify?
Smart Stacks is a clean widget option that automatically switches between different widgets” to show the most relevant information during “day-to-day.” You can also manually scroll through different options in the Smart Stack at any time.
For each widget, you can pick between several different sizes (seen above and below):
Apple’s new Weather app on iOS 14, as well as widgets, delivers real-time precipitation and severe weather tracking that provides a great experience. And it takes third-party apps like Carrot Weather to another level.
Third-party developers who publish widgets will make this big update even more useful, as they let users fine-tune their iOS screens in brand new ways. Also, keep in mind that you can maximize your widgets by stacking 10 of them in the same size.