Every day, an average of 90 thousand websites are attacked by hackers. Since WordPress is the most preferred content management system in the world, it ranks first in the attack targets of hackers. To increase your wordpress site security from internet hackers you should take precautions against WordPress security vulnerabilities.
WordPress site usage is widespread not only in our country but all over the world. I would also like to share current WordPress usage statistics on the topic.
WordPress sites, in general, are offered with certain standard features, and this creates security vulnerabilities for wordpress site administrators who are new in this field, and ultimately the site is attacked or redirected to another site. For this reason, you should know what you need to do to secure your site and apply them.
WordPress Site Security Things To Do
Overall WordPress site how the virus enters, what makes up the subject with regularly when taking backup, database backup plugin ( plugin ) controls, WordPress change the login information regularly on the site malware scanning to make the system input in two-step verification(2FA) for matters such as activating talking last as SSL you are telling about an issue I had with WordPress site security provision will attempt to inform the point.
How does WordPress get a virus?
90% of WordPress sites are infected by plugins (plugins). Now, it is necessary to clarify a point at this point. I am installing the plugins from the WordPress plugin store, the plugins in this section are checked and for those who say that the virus cannot be transmitted this way, a vulnerability left in the plugin manufacturer’s WordPress plugin can infect your site.
For example, on Google Play, there is always news such as viruses have been found in these many applications, downloaded ones have been added. In fact, applications are checked before they are installed on the system, but an open device or site can be infected with viruses. For this reason, before installing a plugin on your WordPress site, be sure to do a preliminary research, check the complaints and install it after you are sure, and finally, take care to use the constantly updated plugins.
Another situation is that your admin login information, FTP, or Cpanel information could be compromised. In some cases, people who have obtained your password can even create a user on the site on their behalf and eliminate you. Regularly update your passwords and use strong passwords.
Perform regular Site and Database Backups
To improve your site security you should put a lot of effort into your wordpress site, design it, and make it SEO– friendly, and enter regular content. If your site is infected with a virus for some reason and you do not have a backup, all your effort is wasted.
This is a very frustrating and sad scenario. For this reason, it is very important to make regular backups of your site and database to solve even the slightest problem.
WORDPRESS SITE SECURITY IN DIFFERENT STEPS
- Personal Security: secure your computer from malicious software such as trojans and keyloggers with an antivirus program. Also, be careful not to log in from devices and networks that you are not sure are safe.
- PHP Version Check: Updating the PHP version increases your WordPress site speed and eliminates incompatibility problems encountered when installing new plugins.
- Strong Password: To secure your WordPress site from hacking attempts such as brute force attack, create a mixed password of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters in your admin panel login information. Also, change your “admin” username which is automatically given during WordPress installation.
- Free Themes and Plugins: Unlicensed (nulled) themes and plugins; It can be easily hacked, contains spam links and advertisements. When you purchase premium (paid, licensed) themes or add-ons, you get a license key specific to you. You can also make performance improvements for your WordPress site with version updates offered by the developer.
- WordPress Version: Use the latest version of WordPress with security updates. Guard against potential attacks by hiding the WordPress version with the functions.php file.
- Changing File Names: Secure your administration panel by renaming the wp-login.php and wp-admin folders. Also, make sure to change the database table prefix wp_ to prevent SQL attacks.
- SSL Certificate: Prevent data such as identity, password, and payment information from falling into the hands of third parties by using an encrypted secure connection protocol SSL certificate. As the SSL certificate is one of the ranking factors in Google search results, it also contributes positively to your WordPress site.
- DDoS Blocking: By installing Cloudflare, secure both from DDoS attacks and increase your WordPress site speed.
- WordPress Backup: Make sure your hosting company regularly backs up your site. If you wish, you can perform the backup process yourself with add-ons or manually. You can also use plugins such as VaultPress, BackUpWordPress, and BackupGuard for backups. Make sure to delete any add-ons and themes you don’t use before making a backup.
Make sure you are using a loginizer to protect your site login page and limit your unauthorized login attempts.