Want to create a membership site in WordPress? Want to know which one is the best WordPress membership plugin? Choosing the right membership plug-in is very important for your business because a better platform means more opportunities for growth. In this article, we will compare the 5 best WordPress membership add-ons to easily create paid membership websites.
What should be looked at in the WordPress Membership Add-in?
There are many WordPress membership add-ons, but not all of them have specific features that you may need to create your membership site.
Some are good at selling subscriptions at a single level, others offer more diverse membership levels and subscription management features. Some add-ons offer a user a drop content feature that allows you to slowly release new content. Others are limited to offering classified content. You will also need to find out which payment routes to use. You just want to accept credit cards, PayPal or both? Your membership add-in must support your preferred payment gateways through built-in or add-on.
Once you’ve said this, let’s see what you need to start a WordPress membership site.
What do you need to run a WordPress Membership Site?
Membership websites are resource-intensive, and selecting the wrong server can damage your overall performance. So the first thing you need to do is choose the best WordPress hosting I can afford.
If you have a budget, you can start with Bluehost. The Business Pro plan comes with an SSL Certificate that you must securely receive payments, allocated IP, and a dedicated support line. If the budget is not a problem and you want to get the best performance, we recommend that you use a managed WordPress hosting provider such as WPEngine. If you don’t already have one, you’ll need to select a domain name for your website. Here’s our guide on how to choose the right domain name for your membership site. Finally, you’ll need to select basic business add-ons such as OptinMonster, which helps you capture leads and increase subscriptions.
Now, when we take a look at what you need to start a membership site in WordPress, let’s take a look at our best WordPress membership add-ons.
MemberPress is one of the most popular WordPress membership plugins. It is also the easiest and most robust to use when it comes to features.
For Downloading Pro add ons Click here.
Pros of the MemberPress WordPress Membership Add-ons
Easy to Install – MemberPress makes it easy to set up a membership website with WordPress. You can automatically set up thank you pages for pricing, login, account, and users. Adding membership plans is also quite simple.
- Content Access Control – MemberPress comes with strong access control that allows you to restrict access to any content, including posts, pages, categories, tags, files, etc.
- Content Drip – Content drip lets you show members limited content after a certain period of time. This is a very useful feature for selling online courses or learning materials.
- Integrations – Integrates with MemberPress, AWeber, MailChimp, GetResponse, and MadMimi email services. It also integrates with Amazon Web Services and BluBrry for hosting podcasts.
- Payment Gateways – Comes with internal support for MemberPress, PayPal, and Stripe payment gateways. The developer plan also adds support to the Authorize.net.
MemberPress Pro Use Cons
Limited Payment Options – MemberPress only supports three of the most popular payment gateways. This would be an opportunity breaker for site owners living in countries that are not supported by these payment gateways.
Limited Integrations – Although the add-on has enough support for popular services to efficiently run a membership site, it still lacks its integration with other popular services. The add-on can be easily expanded and you can pay someone to integrate a third-party service that you want to use.
Pricing: Base plan for $129/year, plus $249/year for the plan.
For starters, we think it’s easiest to use MemberPress’s WordPress membership add-on. With tons of powerful options, you can quickly install it.
Pros of Using LearnDash
Easy to Install LearnDash setup and add content to its content is much easier. It also comes with advanced tools to easily edit your membership content to levels, groups, and so on. Easy Content Restrictions LearnDash lets you easily hide any content and limit it to different membership groups.
- Course Sale – LearnDash allows you to easily create and sell online courses. It has advanced modules that allow you to better manage learning materials than other WordPress membership plug-ins.
- Drip Content – Comes with the powerful drip content feature that allows you to deliver content to users at regular intervals or after the completion of levels.
- Built-in Community Features Exams come with tools to create highly interesting membership sites with user badges, course-specific forums, certificates, user profiles, etc.
Integrations and Payments LearnDash offers a great integration kit and pay gateways. Even MemberPress, WooCommerce, bbPress, Slack, etc.
LearnDash Usage Cons
They lack some membership features – If you’re trying to create a membership website without selling courses, some of the LearnDash features may not be useful to you.
Pricing: Starting at $159 for a single site license that includes 1-year support and update.
LearnDash is the perfect solution if you want to sell online courses on a paid membership website. The wide-ranging plug-in and integration set lets you create a highly engaging platform.